A well-built chimney should last several years, but without routine care and maintenance, it will become damaged over time. A damaged or neglected chimney can lead to all kinds of issues, and the worst of all may be chimney leaks.
Effects of a Leaky Chimney
The leaky chimney affects far more than just the chimney system. The rest of the house can be greatly affected by water that is meant to stay outside. When water is allowed to penetrate the chimney system, it can destroy it from the inside out. Water in the chimney system can cause:
- Rusted damper assemblies, fireplace accessories, glass doors, and masonry
- Deteriorated firebox assemblies, central heating system, and supports
- Rotting adjacent wood and ruined wall coverings
- Water stained and leaking ceilings and walls
- Cracked and damaged flue liner, spalling mortar, collapsed hearth, and chimney settlement
The damage that is caused by a chimney leak will likely be far greater than the cost of preventative care.
Got a Leaky Chimney?
There are a few things that can cause your chimney leak, and any professional will check them first. When you call Black Moose Chimney and Stove, a technician will check your flashing first, because this is the most common point of chimney leaks. Next, we will check that your cap is secure, and then your crown. If any of these parts are damaged, they can be easily fixed, and your chimney safe from leaks once again. If these parts of the chimney are okay, there is likely a masonry problem.
Hire a Certified Chimney Sweep for Expert Repairs and Prevention
Only a professional can provide expert services. When you have a chimney leak, an amateur may come in and repair the damages, but a professional will find the cause, correct it, and then repair the damage. When you hire a professional, you get the assurance that the leak is repaired, but that your chimney will not leak in the near future. Routine maintenance will keep your chimney leak free indefinitely.
- Routine chimney inspections will catch any cracking, spalling, or other damage that will lead to leaks, as well as damaged or missing parts that help prevent leaks. A Black Moose inspection with video scanning will not miss a problem even in the hardest to reach spaces.
- Routine sweeps keep the chimney clean of corrosive chemicals that cause wear-and-tear within the system. A clean chimney works better and lasts longer between maintenance and repairs.
- Professional repairs will keep your chimney system working longer. The correctly sized and sloped concrete chimney crown will work better than those made of mortar.
- Expert flashing installation/repair is the only way to stop a flashing leak once it’s started. You cannot apply sealant to flashing. Flashing should be removed and replaced, a meticulous job meant only for a professional with knowledge of chimney slope, material, and more.
- Waterproofing services are the last defense against water leaks. This industrial water-repellent product from ChimneySaver should be applied by a professional only, and is a vapor-permeable chemical that allows your chimney to work, but keeps water out, doesn’t change the appearance at all, and lasts for several years.
Schedule with Black Moose and stop your chimney leak before it starts. Call 603-525-7905 now.